What's the news?
Passing Strange has received 7 TONY NOMINATIONS!!! Yeah!
This is going to be a fantastic Tony Awards...it's being hosted by Whoopi Goldberg, and the Lifetime Achievement Award is going to Sondheim. Damn. I wish I could go. If anyone out there has extra tickets, let me know. Yeah right. But hey, worth a shot, right? (PS - thanks to Andrew for the picture)
Recently, the cast has been on The View, though they had to change the song they were set to perform due to CBS' freakout over using the word "sex." They can allude to drugs, and say "it might look like Sodom from top to bottom," but not sing a song about how it's natural to have sex. Oh, please. Anyway, Whoopi says it's her favorite musical (interesting, she loves Sara Bareilles and Passing Strange? Maybe Whoopi would love me too...le sigh). Also, side note...The View has rad sets for their visitors. Sara's was very Sara-like, and the Passing Strange one was a pretty good micro-version of the light wall in Act II. I wonder who designs the sets. That would be a cool job.
Anyway, the nominations are:
- Best Musical
- Best Book of a Musical (Stew)
- Best Original Score Written for the Theatre (Stew and Heidi)
- Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical (Stew)
- Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical (Daniel Breaker)
- Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical (de'Adre Aziza)
- Best Orchestrations (Stew & Heidi)
To see a list of other awards the cast/crew/show has been nominated for, click here.
Sorry this post is sort of incoherent...I'm just sort of giddy.
Tony! Tony! Tony!
1) I went to the View a few weeks ago, and the guests were Kim Cattrall and Jenna Jameson. Needless to say, there weren't very many exciting set pieces (that made it onto the air at least!). Thank you, censorship! :)ReplyDelete
2) I almost saw Passing Strange on Wednesday, but opted for Grease instead, and you know how much I loved that one. Ouch.
Can't wait to see you soon!