I make my own trail mix, and I always used to include semi-sweet chocolate chips. The last few times I've made it, the chocolate chips ended up getting...well...spotty. I took some pictures, and need your advice. The pictures are kinda neat, but I was kinda scared to eat them.
Why does this happen?
I know the answer to this one! It's the cocoa butter rising to the top of your chocolate. That happens when the temperature you're storing it at is too warm. Optimum temp for dark chocolate storage is between 60-70.ReplyDelete
Wow - so impressed that Elissa knew the answer. I was about to just say, weird! never seen this before!ReplyDelete
Now I know, too!
Oh crazy! I always knew my apartment got really hot during the day...I guess it gets too hot for chocolate in the kitchen! Chips kept in the cabinet are usually fine - it was just the ones in the trail mix jar (out on the counter) that were having problems. Thanks for the clarification, Elissa! :)ReplyDelete
This always happens to my chips too, so I started keeping them in the fridge and it stopped. But I'm glad to know WHY it kept happening!ReplyDelete