Sunday, January 23, 2011

Squash Explosion

A little while back, I decided to make spaghetti squash. I've made it before, and it's never been a problem, but I guess this time around, I didn't pierce enough holes before putting in the microwave or something, because this happened.

I was just going into the kitchen to see how long was left on the timer, and as soon as I walked into the kitchen and crossed in front of the microwave, BAM! The microwave door burst open with a bang, and squash flew everywhere. If I had been standing just a little bit closer or had leaned in for some reason, I might have been hit by the door as it flew open. Scary. No really, it totally scared me. The noise was so loud and the situation so unexpected that I was shaking as I started to clean up (because of course, my first instinct was to get everything cleaned up). Will came home a few minutes later, as I was shakily scooping squash into a bowl to be eaten - a good portion from the microwave was totally salvageable - and I had to explain to him what had happened.

Yikes. Not only did it explode, it cooked.
So lots of what you see was crusted on.
He calmed me down and helped me clean up, and we had ourselves a lovely dinner of spaghetti squash with bolognese.

The top half of the squash flew out of the microwave and
approximately four feet to the left into the entry. And note
the exploded squash on the cabinets. Fun.
The End.

ed note: when I hit "publish" just now, the Google Ad that displayed said "how to cook squash." Thanks, Google. Way to go.